Wednesday, June 16, 2010

DIY Silhouette Art

I have been wanting to make Adam and I's silhouettes for a long time but wasn't quite sure of the best way to do it. I have read a couple of tutorials and tweaked those to come up with my version.

1. Find a picture you want to make into a silhouette. I used a stock photo for mine {I know, I know. I liked it better!} and snapped a photo of Adam for his.



2. Trace the images onto contact paper with a sharpie. This is where you can make your nose smaller or your neck skinnier :)



3. Use an X-Acto knife to cut your image out making sure to have a continuous edge.



4. You will then stick the negative space to a piece of paper and paint in whatever color you choose. Be sure to paint from the outside in so you minimize the likelihood of the paint bleeding through. {use a heavier weight paper since you will be painting)



5. When the paint is almost dry, peel off the contact paper and you should have something that looks like this:



6. Cut out the image with the X-Acto knife or scissors.



7. Add fabric to your frame and tape or glue the silhouettes to it and you're done! {I used some burlap I had lying around and the IKEA RIBBA frame}





Pin It

No comments: